Most realtors will tell you that November through January is the slowest time of year for home sales. But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. In fact, there may be less competition at this time of year, and holiday buyers tend to be more serious. So if you really need to sell now, here are some tips:
- Don’t overdo the holiday decorations. They tend to distract from your home, hide its features, and make it look crowded and small.
- Make sure your realtor is committed. She has to be prepared to work every day during the holidays, if necessary.
- Make the price attractive. Buyers expect deals at this time of year: give them one.
- Target year-end buyers. This can include corporate relocations, school and college teachers, and investors wanting to meet the tax deadline.
- Pay attention to the exterior. There are no leaves or flowers, so make sure your house looks clean and freshly painted. Especially important: clear ice and snow.
- Create a strong online impression. Buyers will start their shopping online where they can stay warm and cozy. Make sure your photos absolutely sizzle, and include a video tour. Be sure to include a couple of summer shots.
- Add extra warmth. Buyers will be coming in from the cold. So turn up the heat, play soothing music, and set out holiday treats to keep them engaged.