While traditional saunas are heated with varying amounts of steam, infrared saunas rely on infrared heat lamps. The infrared energy produced by these saunas is similar to sunlight, without the harmful UV radiation. And they run at cooler temperatures than steam saunas so they’re easier to tolerate. Here are five ways infrared saunas can help improve your health:
Five Ways Infrared Saunas Can Help
- As with all saunas, they cause the body to sweat away toxins.
- As you sweat, blood flow and circulation is stimulated which helps lower blood pressure, relax tight muscles and ease minor aches due to arthritis.
- If you feel like you’re coming down with a cold or flu, the increased circulation stimulates production of white blood cells and increases your body’s immune
- The appearance of your skin will be enhanced by increased circulation, blood flow and collagen production—as well as the elimination of toxins.
- While any sauna will cause your body to lose “water weight”, the extra deep penetration of infrared may increase metabolic rate to help you burn off a few extra calories. Just remember to hydrate before, during and after your sauna.
As with all new routines, it’s essential to discuss infrared saunas with your medical professional before using. Avoid heat exhaustion and dehydration. And be aware that the effects of some prescription drugs may be altered due to high heat.